Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Newt, Mitt and the future of the Republican Party

I left the party system a while ago because it was clear that there is a great difference between the parties in power and the parties out of power.  The Republican race this year seems to becoming a race between two well known figures--Newt Gingrich, the former Speaker of the House, and Mitt Romney the former Governor of Massachusetts.  These are well known establishment figures in the party.  In power they are likely to be safe figures but can they withstand the pressures to spend that will be key to the future.  I know that Romney is talking the right talk.  Newt was a mixed bag of spending and good balancing when he was speaker.  I am comfortable that either would be better on spending than President Obama but how would they be as President.  Romney has the temperament and experience with big international events like the Olympics.  Newt has more ideas than any current politician and has the age and experience to know who he is.  I could live with either but I think Romney is more electable.  None of the candidates I really wanted, like Mitch Daniels or Paul Ryan ran so I will support the Republican nominee but neither really excites me. 

1 comment:

  1. If other conservatives feel the same way (that they'll support the Republican nominee, but they aren't excited) will the Republicans be able to defeat Obama?

    ReplyDelete