Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Social Mobility and History

In my last post I began talking about social mobility.  One friend commented about my statement about social mobility and history.  Throughout most of history there was little social mobility.  As I pointed out about about George Bernard Shaw's great play Pygmalion written in 1916 which was a play on social mobility.  It revealed that social mobility was frustrated by language, morals, manners, history and attitudes.  These facets of keeping people in their place were as important as class, economics, or education.  And in many places you can add caste to the list.

Modern social mobility with movie stars, sports stars, and other famous people generally has no language, morals, manners, history, class or any other barrier to mobility.  So, I do think modern social mobility is more diverse and different than the social barriers to mobility in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment